Thursday, May 09, 2019

Back From The Dead

MAY 9th-Here we are in the second week of May, and I find myself missing my old digs.

Last year, it was SB Nation's Minor League Ball, where I got to work for and with one of my favorite writers from my early days as a fan: Mr John Sickels. Then I joined Baseball Prospectus, which was a real joy for me and a milestone in my relatively-nascent career as a baseball writer. At the end of the year, both sites shut down their minor-league coverage and we all went our separate ways. John ended up at The Athletic, which seems to have become The Home For Wayward Writers; seriously, they're snapping up some big, big names.

This year, I've been a writer/photographer for a site called Big Blue Banter, which helped me land a season pass to the University of Kentucky's baseball games. I also covered my first college softball game (also at UK), and that was a real blast. Talk about fast action; it's certainly not like covering baseball. It seemed like every single grounder led to a bang-bang play. I'd wanted to cover girls' softball for some time, and now that UK is heading to the SEC Tournament and further postseason play, I'll get to cover a bit more.

Apart from BBB, I haven't had a regular byline in 2019 apart from my occasional freelancing with The Jessamine Journal in Nicholasville. I started wondering why I didn't just write for myself, for a while, instead of putting in so much work at sites which paid little to nothing. After all, if I'm going to do this anyway, why not write what I want?

So I decided to dust off this old blog, where my earliest work was posted, and thought I'd take a shot at writing about whatever struck me as interesting. That covers an awful lot of ground. One day, I might write about current minor-league prospects. The next, I may bring up a bit of the history of professional baseball in Australia. It's likely that posts will be somewhat erratic, in the interest of full disclosure; sometimes, the spirit is plenty willing, but the flesh is a weak lump of dog poop.

Let's see where this road takes us, shall we? Oh, and I'll also take requests, from time to time.

Welcome to The Grand Old Game. 

No comments: