Monday, December 10, 2012

Player Interview: Dan Gamache, 2B, West Virginia Power (Class A, South Atlantic League, Pittsburgh Pirates)

DEC 10th, 2012-I had the opportunity recently to speak with Pirates 2B prospect Dan Gamache, and after seeing him play here against our Legends several times this past season I'm certainly happy to have had the chance to do so. Never did I see him on the field or at the plate without a smile on his face or a noticeable energy and passion for the game. Watching players like Gamache is always a joy for me, and a reminder that there are still players out there who are fans of the game. You'd be surprised how many of them aren't.

Daniel Joseph Gamache
Bats: Left Throws: Right
Height: 5' 11", Weight: 190 lb.
Born: November 20, 1990 in Newport, Rhode Island, US (Age 22)
Drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 6th round of the 2011 MLB June Amateur Draft from Auburn University (Auburn, AL).


So you had quite a number of honors bestowed upon you as an amateur, but would you say there was one in particular that meant more than the rest?
My favorite honor I got as an amateur would have to be being named the MVP in the Capital City Classic my junior year at Auburn against Alabama. It doesn't get better than that game when it comes to regular season college games.
When the time came for the draft, was there a particular team which showed early interest in drafting you, or did you have a preconceived notion as to where you would end up?
There were several teams that I was confident would be taking me, but I would have to say that I had the most confidence that the Pirates would take me first.
Coming up as a third baseman and now having shifted to second, have you had much difficulty in making the transition?
It was definitely difficult at first transitioning from a corner position to the middle. I didn't realize the responsibility that came with second but with reps in practice and actually playing in games I have become way more comfortable there.
What would you say is your greatest asset, on the field?
I'd say that my greatest asset on the field would have to be my bat. I have always felt comfortable making necessary adjustments at the plate physically and with my approach.
How does the atmosphere in a pro clubhouse, with many different players from across the US and surrounding countries, differ from the feel of college or high school?
The pro clubhouse is very different at first from the college ranks. In college its more of a team atmosphere with everyone kind of focusing on winning games and working together as a team. In pro ball everyone has the same goal, to get to the big leagues. This makes everyone work together as well but it has a different feel from college.
If there was one coach or instructor you could take with you throughout your pro career, who would it be and why?
The one instructor I could take through my professional career with me would have to be my hitting coach that I've worked with since I was 8 years old, Jon Burke. He knows my swing and me better than anyone I've ever been coached by and I am able to call him for advice or just to talk whenever I need.
What has been the hardest adjustment for you since you went pro?
Worst moment on the field since being a pro has to be when I struck out three times in a game last season in West Virginia, just felt plain helpless. Best moment for me is my first home run that came in State College my first year.
Do you follow a special routine on game days?
I wouldn't call the routine that I have on game day special. Its not even planned out really, it just kind of happens. On the way to the field i will pick up a couple of energy drinks, usually crush one of those on the way to the field, get my early work in before BP, take BP, take in and out, take a shower, and listen to music at my locker while downing the other energy drink before pre-game stretch.
Who has been the toughest pitcher/batter you've seen, to this point?
Toughest pitcher that I've faced to now is Jose Fernandez. Kid's got talent. (Ed. note-he ain't kidding.)
If you had to leave the game tomorrow, what would you most like to do?
If I left the game as a player tomorrow I would without a doubt be a coach somewhere.

No comments: